Area, Population and Languages Spoken
Feel the spiritual essence of India with Char Dham Yatra, where Badrinath is one of the gateways to attain peace and God’s blessings. During early 9th century AD, the temple has been built and regarded as immensely popular pilgrims of Hindus.
- Area: 3 sq. Km
- Altitude: 3,150 m
- Languages Spoken: Hindi, Garhwali and English
- Population: 978 (1991)
- STD code: 01381
Badrinath is one of the most popular pilgrimages of Indian devotees located in Uttaranchal. The popular temple is edged amidst two ranges. They are Nar and Narayan. The abode of Lord Vishnu, Badrinath is derived from the word badri which stands for ‘berries’.
The magnificent temple is located at a height of 3133 meters and certainly a tough passage to cover. On the bank of River Alaknanda, the temple is positioned and comprises of thermal spiral, hugely popular spot among the travelers. All the devotees refresh here before proceeding for puja. According to a mythological story, River Ganga commences her journey for earth from this place. This is one of the holiest places for hindus.
The temple of Badrinath holds 15 idols of Lord Vishnu, Parvati, Garuda, Lord Shiva and many more. All the idols are made up of black stone.
Best Time to Visit
Month of May and June and September to November are the ideal time to visit Badrinath, as reaching the temple during monsoons and winters is quite tough.
The pure and sacred environment can be felt everywhere, as the local markets are selling Puja material, Gods idols, holy dresses etc. Travelers can also buy souvenirs also. Besides shopping, there is several local restaurants offers lip smacking cuisine for the travelers to make them feel fresh.
Climate (Weather) in Badrinath
- Summer: Cool in day and cold at night
- Winter: Snow-bound
Distance from Major Cities
Badrinath is well connected to all the major roads with National Highway 58 and total length 538 kms. If you are coming from Delhi, there are two routes:
- Route 1: Delhi – Rishikesh: 243 km by rail/road, Rishikesh-Badrinath: 297 km by road.
- Route 2: Delhi – Kotdwar: 300 km by rail/road, Kotdwara-Badrinath: 327 km by road.
Distance to Badrinath
- Delhi – 518 km
- Joshimath – 42 km (takes 2.30 – 3.00 hours)
- Dehradun – 343 km
- Rishikesh – 297 km
- Haridwar – 321 km
- Deoprayag – 225 km
- Rudraprayag – 155 km
- Karnprayag – 123 km
Nearest Airport, Railway Station and Bus Stand
- Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant Airport positioned close to Dehradun is around 317 kms from BAdrinath
- Nearest Railway Station: Rishikesh and Kotdwar are the nearby railway stations to Badrinath located at 297 kms and 327 kms resp.
- Nearest Bus Stand: Baronet is finely connected with major cities such as Rishikesh, Haridwar, Dehradun and Kumaon cities.